The Prevention Centre is one of two National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Partnership Centres announced in 2013 to improve the availability and quality of research evidence to health decision makers.
Our initial funding was provided by our original Funding Partners: the NHMRC, the Australian Government Department of Health, NSW Ministry of Health, ACT Health and the HCF Research Foundation.
In 2017 the Australian Government, through the Department of Health, provided us with a further $10 million for 10 specific research projects under the Boosting Prevention program, which is funded from the Medical Research Future Fund.
In 2018, we were refunded for a further five years until 2023. Our current Funding Partners are NHMRC, Australian Government Department of Health, ACT Health, Cancer Council Australia, NSW Ministry of Health, Wellbeing SA, Tasmanian Department of Health, and VicHealth.
In 2022, Queensland Health joined the Prevention Centre as a financial contributor and valued partner.
The Prevention Centre is administered by the Sax Institute in Sydney.
Through our Chief Investigators and the Collaboration for Enhanced Research Impact (CERI), the Prevention Centre has links with the following universities, policy agencies and organisations.
- Australian National University
- Bond University
- Deakin University
- La Trobe University
- Monash University
- The University of Melbourne
- The University of Newcastle
- The University of New South Wales
- The University of Queensland
- The University of Sydney
- University of Tasmania
- University of Wollongong
- Menzies Centre for Health Policy and Economics
- Menzies School of Health Research
- The George Institute for Global Health
- Baker IDI Heart & Diabetes Institute
- National Ageing Research Institute
- Centre of Research Excellence in Implementation for Community Chronic Disease Prevention
- Centre of Research Excellence in the Early Prevention of Obesity in Childhood (EPOCH CRE)
- Centre of Research Excellence in Food Retail Environments for Health (RE-FRESH)
- Centre of Research Excellence in Health in Preconception and Pregnancy: Prevention of maternal obesity
- Centre of Research Excellence National Centre of Implementation Science
- Centre of Research Excellence Women’s Health in Reproductive Life
- Centre of Research Excellence Preventing Falls-related Injuries
- Centre of Research Excellence Tobacco Endgame
- Centre of Research Excellence Women and Non-Communicable Diseases
- Healthy Food, Healthy Planet, Healthy People Centre for Research Excellence
- Healthy Housing Centre of Research Excellence
- ACT Health
- Australian Government Department of Health
- Australian Government Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development
- Department of Health & Human Services, Victoria
- Department of Premier and Cabinet, NSW
- Hunter New England Population Health
- NSW Ministry of Health
- NSW Treasury
- Queensland Health
- Wellbeing SA
- Tasmanian Government Department of Health
- Victorian Department of Health
- Cancer Council Australia
- Cancer Council Victoria
More about us
Our vision and missionThe Prevention Centre is finding out how to build an effective, efficient and equitable system for the prevention of chronic disease.
Our approachThe behaviours and other risk factors that cause chronic disease are complex and embedded into everyday life. Achieving change requires a different way of intervening.
Our structure and governanceThe Prevention Centre is a collaboration: research is co-produced by academic researchers, systems practitioners and policy makers across Australia.