Associate Professor Gary Sacks
Associate Professor Gary Sacks is a Heart Foundation Future Leader Fellow based at the Global Obesity Centre (GLOBE) at Deakin University. Gary’s research focuses on policies for the prevention of obesity and related diseases, including the monitoring and evaluation of policies for improving the healthiness of the food supply, and the political influence of the food industry.
Associate Professor Sacks’ research was included as part of The Lancet Commission on Obesity, and he has co-authored several global reports for WHO on obesity prevention. Gary co-founded INFORMAS – a global network for monitoring food environments. As part of INFORMAS, he has led studies to benchmark progress on obesity prevention by Australian governments and major food companies.
- Diet and chronic disease prevention: supporting implementation of priority actions in the food and nutrition system
- Benchmarking obesity policies in Australia
- A systems approach to healthy and equitable eating
- Developing codes of practice as a means of activating new non-communicable disease (NCD)-prevention provisions embedded within the South Australian Public Health Act 2011
- Researchers rewarded in Budget 2021-22
- Landmark report sets out roadmap to tackle obesity and unhealthy diets
- Focus on the food system not the individual, experts urge
- Our talented team