Associate Professor Gary Sacks
Associate Professor Gary Sacks is a Senior Research Fellow at the World Health Organization (WHO) Collaborating Centre for Obesity Prevention at Deakin University and a member of the Prevention Centre’s Leadership Executive. His research focuses on policies for the prevention of obesity and related non-communicable diseases. His primary research interests include monitoring and evaluation of policies for improving the healthiness of the food supply, and the political influence of the food industry.
Associate Professor Sacks’ research has been included as part of The Lancet Series on Obesity in 2011 and 2015, and he has co-authored several global reports for the WHO on obesity prevention. He was recently awarded a Discovery Early Career Research Award for 2016-2018.
- Diet and chronic disease prevention: supporting implementation of priority actions in the food and nutrition system
- Benchmarking obesity policies in Australia
- A systems approach to healthy and equitable eating
- Developing codes of practice as a means of activating new non-communicable disease (NCD)-prevention provisions embedded within the South Australian Public Health Act 2011
- Landmark report sets out roadmap to tackle obesity and unhealthy diets
- Focus on the food system not the individual, experts urge
- Our talented team
Impact case study