June 2021: preventive health in the news
TYPE Prevention Headlines
Prevention Headlines is a summary of media stories about the prevention of chronic disease and the social determinants of health with a focus on the Australian landscape. The list is not comprehensive and mainly focusses on the topics relevant to the work of the Prevention Centre.
- No plans for a UK-style junk food ad ban say government and ad industry
Mumbrella, 30 June 2021
- Global collaboration strives to advance heart health
Hospital and Healthcare, 30 June 2021
- Physical activity may counter serious health harms of poor sleep
Sydney Uni News, 30 June 2021
- To address social inequities in obesity, let’s focus on housing and education
Croakey, 29 June 2021
- Vital Signs: how to halve serious injuries and deaths from teenage driving accidents
- The Conversation, 25 June 2021
- Racism linked to poor health among Indigenous Australians
ANU Newsroom, 25 June 2021
- Australian, New Zealand companies earning millions through sale of sugary drinks to Pacific Islands battling an obesity crisis
ABC, 24 June 2021
- COVID-19 revealed flaws in Australia’s food supply. It also gives us a chance to fix them.
The Conversation, 23 June 2021
- ‘Defeats the purpose’: Is it time booze-free challenges get a refresh?
SMH, 22 June 2021
- How multinationals are using the law to damage our health
Lawyers Weekly, 21 June 2021
- Health Promoting Schools: a healthy child is a learning child
Insight, 21 June 2021
- No booze until menopause: WHO’s alcohol guidance sparks female backlash
SMH, 19 June 2021
- Almost 60 per cent with high blood pressure untreated
UWA Newsroom, 17 June 2021
- No, it’s not just a lack of control that makes Australians overweight. Here’s what’s driving our unhealthy food habits
The Conversation, 16 June 2021
- Walk the talk: corporate Australia must heed “landmark decision” on Indigenous health engagement
Croakey, 16 June 2021
- ‘Unhealthy food is pushed at us’: Aldi, Coles, IGA, Woolworths ‘red-flagged’ over junk food promos
The New Daily, 16 June 2021
- Soaring e-waste affects the health of millions of children, WHO warns
WHO News, 15 June 2021
- Preventable hospitalisation rates 4.5 times higher for people with intellectual disabilities
ABC, 14 June 2021
- Alcohol, women in middle age and cancer risk
ABC, 12 June 2021
- Young Australians and COVID-19: more depression and anxiety, but less alcohol-related harm
UNSW Newsroom, 11 June 2021
- How much longer do we need to wait for Australia to implement a sugary drinks tax?
The Conversation, 10 June 2021
- People’s odds of loneliness could fall by up to half if cities hit 30% green space targets
UNSW Newsroom, 10 June 2021
- The twin pandemics: Manufacturers of unhealthy products aren’t letting the pandemic crisis go to waste
Croakey, 8 June 2021
- Is high food insecurity the new normal in Tasmania?
UTAS Newsroom, 8 June 2021
- The UK is banning online junk food marketing: what’s stopping Australia?
Croakey, 8 June 2021
- Personalised nutrition is trendy, but can it help us eat less junk food?
The Conversation, 7 June 2021
- The fight against two global pandemics – physical inactivity and COVID-19
Canberra Times, 5 June 2021
- Indigenous Sport Month: Big barrier holding Australian sports back
News.com.au, 3 June 2021
- Govt urged to ‘make junk food less profitable’ as Nestle admits most of its products aren’t healthy
New Daily, 3 June 2021
- How to reduce child poverty in Australia
The Mandarin, 2 June 2021
- Overweight or obesity worsens liver damaging effects of alcohol
University of Sydney News, 1 June 2021
These are curated for information and reference only and their inclusion is not necessarily an endorsement of content. Please email us at email@example.com if you have any comments.