Professor Alan Shiell
Professor Shiell is Professor of Health Economics in the School of Psychology and Public Health at La Trobe University. Prior to taking up this position he was the Chief Executive Officer of the Centre of Excellence in Intervention and Prevention Science, and before that he was Professor of Public Health Economics at the University of Calgary where he held a CIHR Chair in Applied Public Health. At La Trobe University he is responsible for building health economic capacity in the School while pursuing research into the economics of complex interventions and systems change.
He is the lead of the Prevention Centre’s Systems Science and Implementation Capacity and a member of the Centre’s Leadership Executive.
- Development of a cost-benefit analysis framework integrating inter-sectoral benefits of prevention
- Improving the economic analysis of prevention
- Census of published economic evaluations of primary prevention strategies and interventions
- A systems approach to healthy and equitable eating
- Simulation modelling of alcohol consumption and the effectiveness of harm-reduction policies
- Alan is also leading the projects of the Systems Science Implementation Capacity.